Thursday, March 17, 2011

Creating your own Embellishments

Good Morning dear sweet friends!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!
Today I am going to share one of my favorite past-times while paper
crafting...Creating my own embellishments! I don't know about you, but buying all of the embellishments from different manufacturers adds up quickly. I find that creating my own embellies makes my Little Red Scrapbook kits go farther and it is amazing how many cards I can make using my scraps!!

One of my favorite ways to make my own embellies is using my die cut machines. I have a cricut and a big shot and I use them both a ton. I have found in the past weeks, however, that I have a die addiction. I can't get enough of them! From Tim Holtz and Sizzix to Papertrey Ink, I have found the most wonderful dies!!! I have also found that using regular household items works well too! Cereal boxes are the best form of chipboard in my opinion!!! Stay green! Re-use and recycle! I also love to use old jeans! We all have those around!

In this first card, you can see what a pair of old jeans can become:

I used my big shot machine and Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die:
I frayed the edges to add visual interest:
I layered the flowers and attached them with a brad. I also stamped some leaves using Papertrey Ink's Year Of Flowers, Mums.
I made a second card based on the Wee Memories Saturday Challenge #47-Spring is near, Green is here, using another favorite technique of mine, hand-cutting patterned paper to embellish your projects.
First, I stamped the doily image three times and embossed with clear embossing powder and then inked the edges with Tim Holtz Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink. I stamped the sentiment which is from Papertrey Ink's Year Of Flowers, Morning Glory, I cut out several florals from the patterned paper.
I added a bird, some twine, and a pearl and in five minutes, I have a colorful and unique card!

Thanks for stopping by today!!
I hope these ideas motivate you to make your own embellishments!!!
Have a wonderful day!
Kristii

15 comments:

Margaret M said...

Hey Kristii..sorry I haven't commented on your wonderful work here recently but I have been looking! I agree with you about embellishments being so expensive. It's much more fun to make your own and I really like what you did with the jeans! Need to remember that one.

karriecook said...

oh my! i love those jean flowers!! i may have to buy a die just to make those! gorgeous cards as always! thanks for the tip!

Susan Beth said...

Love those homemade embellies, as you know! Wishing I had the die cutting machine for those tim holtz dies. Have to consult with the Lord and the budget on that!

Kara said...

so cute...i just started die cutting denim myself....my husband said, "i guess these jeans are ready for the trash." i said, "no way, give them to me!!"

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awesome ideas Kristii! I loveeeeeeee that denim flower! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cathy Weber said...

Lots to comment on today Kristii. First, the little jean flowers are adorable. I think I already have some in my drawer that are frayed, LOL. I also loved that card with the beautiful bird. So many great elements on that one, especially the embossed doilies. I think those doily stamps really need the embossing. It makes them so shiny and they really stand out.

Unknown said...

I like the jean idea! Wow! So cool!!!!!! Very nice cards Mom. You are awesome!

Jessica said...

Awesome ideas!! Please keep sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - Great tips that I am definitely going to try out. Love the embossed doily. Thanks again for sharing. :)

Melinda said...

What a great idea to do with the stamps. I just got my LRS kit last night and the doilies were just a little intimidating! Thanks for the inspiration, can't wait to try them. :-)

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Kristii, your cards are simply gorgeous! Love what you did with the pp. Thank you for joining us at Wee Memories. :)

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

These are GORGEOUS love the embossed doily!!!!!Thanks so much for playing along with us at Wee memories!!!!

Jessie said...

Love the jean flowers!! How cool and what a great idea!!

Laurel said...

Oh how lovely! Love both cards and thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks so much for playing at Wee Memories.

jen said...

Congrats on the wee honors! your cards are lovely! (and I love making embellies too- so fun!!)